Review: Tonymoly Tomatox Mask


For those of you unfamiliar with Korean cosmetic brands, Tonymoly is one of the many and focuses on using natural and organic ingredients in their products like aloe, tomato, tea tree, lemon etc. Most of their products also come in uber cute packaging like the above. I find their products are relatively inexpensive compared to some other Korean brands. 

I actually got this mask by accident from one of my best friends who went to Korea and asked me if there was anything I wanted. I actually asked her to get me my usual Baviphat Strawberry Toxifying clay mask and she came back with this instead as the packaging looks kinda similar! Since she had already bought it for me I thought why not try it out, it has a different function to my clay mask so I was curious to see how good it was.

Unlike my clay mask, this mask is like cream, it even smells like face cream. It spreads quite thinly and ends up looking like a mask except it doesn't dry like my clay one does. You massage it on and leave it for 5-10 mins (I always go for the maximum) then rinse your face. I like the convenience of this mask as you don't need to leave it on for ~20 mins so it serves as a quick mid-week skin pick-up for me. Of course, it's not as convenient as sheet masks where you can just rip off without having to rinse your face. 


Like with most Korean pot masks, the product comes with a small spoon to prevent contamination if you scoop with your fingers so make sure you use it instead of digging in with your fingers! 

It spreads very smoothly and evenly on my face but I did notice (and I have read that others had the same experience) that it kinda burns on your face for about 2 minutes and then stops. Not sure how worrying this is but I've also found that when using it more often, the burning decreases - I'm giving the product the benefit of the doubt by thinking it's just my skin adjusting to a new product. At least my face hasn't come out all blotchy or swollen so I know it can't be an allergic reaction!

As this mask is quite thin and the recommending masking time is quite short I think this type of mask is more suited for those who like masking often and are looking for a mask that serves it main purpose as brightening up the skin. I probably wouldn't recommend it for anyone with particularly sensitive skin or looking for something that penetrates deep into the skin to clear up acne as this product may be a bit too weak for that. 

I primarily use this in conjunction with my clay one, I feel it works really well - I use this one mid-week to brighten up my skin and then my clay one during the weekends as a detox to get rid of all those toxins built up on an deep into my skin during the week. The main function of this mask is brightening / whitening as it contains pearl powder and Lycopene from the tomato extract so it's perfect for what I want it to do - give my skin a brighten up mid-way through the week! I would highly recommend this mask. 

No comments:

Post a Comment