Pre-Release Review: Clinique Pop Lip Colour & Primer


Hola!~

So the Clinque Pop Lip Colour & Primer "officially" launches later today nationwide! What better time to do a review than in the early hours of the morning of release day?

I'm not a huge lipstick fan, I'm more of a lip balm girl because lip balms are just more subtle and does the job of moisturising my lips when I need to. I've always seen lipsticks just highlight the dryness of my lips in really unflattering ways even after that dry toothbrush trick. So sadly, lipsticks haven't been at the very top of my necessities when it comes to make up.

But having seen these new "balmy" Clinique Pop Lip Colour & Primer lipsticks, I couldn't resist buying one, or two... or three to try out. After deliberating for just about forever, the ones I bought were Cola Pop, Poppy Pop and Melon Pop (L-R).


These lipsticks are split into 4 groups - you can google the whole range but the Cola Pop one I have is from the Nudes category and the other 2 are from the Tawnies category. I decided to choose a light neutral coral shade (Melon Pop) for everyday, a slightly brighter pink-orange shade (Poppy Pop) for summery days where I feel a bit more... daring with make up and a dark red/maroon shade (Cola Pop) for evening wear - each suitable for different occasions. Completely skipping Pinks and Violets because pink and purple lipstick is not my thing and the other Nudes seemed too plain.

The packaging is absolutely beautiful, I've even kept the original box it comes in because I'm a huge hoarder and they're just too lovely to throw away! 


Having changed my mind multiple times about them, I've come to the conclusion that I love each one in a different way. Bear in mind, these lipsticks are super pigmented, I was surprised at how pigmented the Melon Pop one was despite seeing other bloggers review them. They're also very balmy hence the 'Primer' part and is excellent for long lasting wear. These lipsticks seem to keep my lips hydrated for a long time, it feels like I'm wearing a super pigmented lip balm rather than a lipstick. 

Here are the swatches: 


I'd say the colours look slightly different to the colour on the packaging - not massively but it definitely varies from skin tone to skin tone. The Cola Pop one looked a lot darker than I anticipated, it's by far the darkest lipstick I've ever tried on but it's a blue-based red lipstick that compliments my skin tone really well! With my choice in the corals, corals can never go wrong with Asian skin but I was surprised at how bright the Poppy Pop one was, it definitely looks more orange on my lips - it's a great colour for the summer as I have a natural coral tint to my lips this one definitely accentuates it more. Finally, the Melon Pop is wonderful, I'm a plain Jane most days so this one tops my list out of the 3, it's pigmented but not too much that screams attention, it's subtly pink with a tint of coral which is perfect for dress down days or days where I tend to go simple with my make up. 

Out of the 3, Melon Pop tops my list, it's versatile and can be dressed up or down. Cola Pop would be my second because despite it being uber dark, it's actually super sexy when worn! Poppy Pop would be third as it's pretty damn bright for my liking and I'd probably have to blot it down a bit along with some translucent power to make it less harsh. 

Sadly, these lipsticks fall short when compared to my MAC Cremesheen lipstick. I have a beautiful coral shade that is somewhere between Melon Pop and Poppy Pop, not to mention the MAC Cremesheen range smells like vanilla which makes me love it even more. That being said, these Clinique lipsticks are definitely worth the money, they launch today with a price tag of £16 each (MAC Cremesheen range is £15 each) and the quality of these lipsticks is luxurious with the metal cap, square design, primer formula. I reckon these Clinique lipsticks are better value for money compared to MAC.

Go grab yours today at your nearest Clinique counter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment