K-Drama Review: Empress Ki


51 episodes later...

I never usually watch dramas this long because I just can't be bothered but Empress Ki was an exceptional exception because it was really that good that I couldn't believe I was already on episode 40 something a week later.

Well, I wouldn't say it was an amazing drama compared to some others but it's definitely watchable despite the length, it's just... I can't quite put into words how good/bad this drama was because it was like an emotional rollercoaster - literally. I think I've seen more people cry in this drama than in real life. Honestly, someone cries every episode - guaranteed.

What's good about this drama is that it's super addictive, you will get so sucked in you lose track of when lunch or dinner is. Before you know it you'll have already watched 10 episodes and it's already 5am and you have work in 2 hours. LOL, joking, this totally did not happen to me. Ki's relationship with those 2 guys up there is so frustrating that it was enjoyable. Can't really say I can pick a side on this one because they're both so different and she had different reasons for being with each one. Story-wise, it was exciting but often filled with plot holes that I won't go through in detail. I would say I loved the costume designs the most, the clothes were beaaaaautiful, better than any historical drama I've seen. It was also nice to see it being shot in Forbidden City in China, I think that made the drama especially beautiful to watch.

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone looking to kill time, but this drama is not for people with busy lives because it'll inexplicably ruin your busy life and make you sleep less because what's more important than watching the next episode of Empress Ki when they always leave it at some crazy cliff hanger?

Anyway, onto the main point about this post - what really pisses me off about this drama is probably the last 10-ish episodes... Only read on if you've seen Empress Ki or don't plan on seeing it (then you probably won't have a clue about what I'm talking about).

*SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* *SPOILERS*

I hated how everyone had to die. Period. In short, everyone dies and Empress Ki is all alone with her kid that we don't even see in the final episode LOL. I mean, ranting on, I hoped at least Tal Tal would survive to help her rule but nope, he died fighting rebels near a river. The build up and betrayal of just about everyone close to the Emperor was a bit silly too, it was really exciting when they were trying to get rid of the first regent but then it got a bit stupid when the second regent started becoming corrupt like the first one so they had to get rid of him too. Then everyone in the bloody palace turns out to be a traitor all wanting to "rule the world" (I scoffed every time someone threw that line out). It eventually got really stupid when Tangqishi died, then the maid of the dead empress died (random as fuck), then Wang Yu died, then everyone fucking dies soon after.

The Emperor's poisoning tugged at my heartstrings a little though, it became quite clear by the end that the Empress really did love the Emperor and to find out just before he dies made me a little emotional. The Empress ends up alone and we're told that her son ascends to the throne - but what about those rebels that were about to attack the capital? Plot hole indeed. Could've at least made it 52 episodes to explain that part.

I loved the final scene though, it flashed back to when Nyang had to choose who to ride with at the river when the Koryo king came to look for her and she was with the Emperor (crown prince back then). She chose the Emperor originally but it's questionable if things would've been a lot different if she chose to ride with the Koryo king. The scene ends when she's between the 2 deciding who to ride with... Oooh, I love endings like that.

*END SPOILERS* *END SPOILERS* *END SPOILERS* *END SPOILERS* 

A great drama, I can definitely see why it topped the ratings for weeks when it was airing in Korea. The actors were amazing despite all the unnecessary crying scenes, ugh so emotional, I'm just not ready to say bye to this drama yet. You grow so attached after watching for 51 hours :(

Definitely one I would watch again if I ever get the time to!


No comments:

Post a Comment