Review: Silisponge

Before I begin, no matter what happens, no matter what crazy inventions come out this year, the silisponge is definitely my product of the year. It's literally changed my life. No really. 

The sili-what?

The silisponge is a silicone make up sponge basically. I wouldn't actually call it a sponge as it doesn't soak up any product. It's cheaply made and is just wonderful at applying and blending make up. I bought this bad boy towards the beginning of the year and haven't gone back to applying my make using brushes or my fingers. 

What? Where? How?

I bought my silisponge off eBay. It's not the official silisponge but I thought to myself, how fake or different can a silicone sponge be? The one I received was amazing quality. I have heard there are some really bad dupes out there though that break really easily or irriates skin, but mine has been great so far! They seem to come in a variety of shapes and sizes - I've opted for the tear shaped one rather than the long rectagular-ish one just because I find the shape suits how I apply make up more. 

Pros
  • It's extremely easy to clean in comparison to a beauty sponge or brush, literally takes less than 2 minutes with some gentle hand soap or baby shampoo and it's good as new again
  • Doesn't soak up product meaning your foundation bottle will last longer, a little really goes a long way using this
  • Great rounded shapes, helps blend make up into creases and corners
  • As it's not a sponge, it won't retain bacteria or pick up a lot of dust / dead skin cells etc
  • Comes in a variety of shapes and colours / designs
  • Super cheap to replace if it rips 
  • Pretty durable (just keep it away from tweezers etc) 
Cons
  • Has a tendency to smear make up rather than blend evenly - I find this depends on what make up you're applying with it, whilst it's great for applying BB cream (this is what I use it for on a daily basis) or creamier foundations, it's not so great at applying foundations that are more matte / dry in texture 
  • Not as multipurpose as a beauty blender - you can't really use this product for compact powders for example 
  • Can be easily ripped / perforated by tweezers - I keep mine in a little pouch inside my make up bag as I also have tweezers floating around in there
  • Takes a bit of practice or getting used to once you first use it, it's not the easiest of make up tools to use in comparison to the beauty blender or standard foundation brushes
Overall, despite the cons, I'm super happy with my silisponge. As I use BB cream on a daily basis, it's great for serving the purpose of applying it. I'm getting less spots as my silisponge is cleaned everyday (as it's so easy to clean) and it's great at blending my BB cream to give me that dewy look. However, as the foundation I used is more of a dry texture (I've been using Kill Cover Foundation), I still find using my beauty blender better than the silisponge for now. 



No comments:

Post a Comment