Top 5 Skin Care Buys

It's not easy to achieve healthy glowy skin all year round especially when hormones (for the ladies) hit hard. I'm really not a fan of lengthy skincare routines but there are certain products that I use frequently to keep my skin looking as healthy as possible.

But remember guys, it's not all about the routine, you have to eat healthily to get the right vitamins, drink plenty of water and get some sunshine to achieve and maintain healthy skin!

5. Simple Kind to Skin Cleansing Wipes - £3.49 per 25 wipes


Simple is definitely my favourite brand of skincare, it's affordable, feels great on the skin and non-scented. Perfect for my skin because my skin is a bit on the sensitive side so scented products tend to cause me to break out more often than not. I love using this product to remove make up, works great at removing waterproof mascara too. 

Positives: Gentle, non-scented, the wipes are large enough to remove a full face of make up. Affordable, widely available. 

Negatives: I find that the wipes nearer to the top of the pack tend to be drier than the wipes nearer to the bottom.

4. Nivea Daily Essentials Regenerating Night Cream - £4.35 per 50ml


I first came across this product in a magazine that provided a free sample. At first I wasn't too impressed by it since the sample only provided enough for 2 applications, so I went out to buy a tub to test its long term effects instead. 

I've never been a huge fan of Nivea products because they're heavily scented and quite greasy, but this is probably the only Nivea product I approve of and actually works well on my skin. Night creams are known to be quite greasy anyway but the special thing about this product is that you go to sleep with a greasy face of cream but wake up with beautiful, supple, baby-smooth skin. It's an amazing product. I really do feel the regenerating effects of this cream - definitely worth tolerating the overpowering Nivea smell and greasy face for. 

Positives: Does what it claims to do - regenerate, a little goes a very long way so a 50ml tub should last a while, relatively affordable, comes in a nice glass tub so it doesn't feel like a cheap night cream at all. 

Negatives: Overpowering Nivea smell that might not be likeable to all, greasy - people with naturally oily skin may find problems with this product.

3. Simple Kind to Skin Moisturising Facial Wash - £3.49 per 150ml 


Finding the perfect facial cleanser for me has been one of my biggest challenges throughout teenage years. When your hormones are just all over the place, it's hard to find a cleanser that you can stick with and actually works the way you want it to. I've tried gel cleansers, milk cleansers, foam cleansers but it all boils down to this one cleanser here.

I absolutely luuuuurve this Simple cleanser, again, like the wipes, it's not scented, gentle on the skin and is a foaming cleanser. I don't know about you guys but foaming cleansers are a personal fav for me, the foaming makes me feel like the stuff is actually cleaning my face. Unlike other foam cleansers I've tried, this one does not dry out my face. I wouldn't say it moisturises it that much (still need to apply cream after a wash), but it definitely makes my skin feel soft and clean after. I've been using this product faithfully for about 3-4 years now and have noticed a huge decrease in breakouts and blackheads around the nose. 

Would definitely recommend to anyone of any skin type looking for an affordable, gentle and effective cleanser.

Positives: Gentle, non-scented, foaming cleanser that doesn't dry out the skin, a little goes a very long way again - a bottle of this lasts for ages, widely available, leaves skin feeling soft after a wash. 

Negatives: I find the cap is a bit fragile as mine has snapped right off a few times, works most effectively with a rinse-and-repeat as it doesn't feel like a very strong cleanser. 

2. My Beauty Diary Bulgarian White Rose Mask - £8.70 per 10 sheets


Throwing in one of my Asian products for my number 2. MBD is a brand originating from Taiwan, their sheet masks are very popular with Chinese people in particular being widely sold in China and Hong Kong. 

I'm sure you're all familiar with what sheet masks are. I love the MBD range because they have such a variety of different scents with different purposes which caters to all skin types of different ages. For example they have ones like ginseng, caviar and Q10 for the older generation which have benefits like skin firming and wrinkle prevention and ones like white rose, yogurt and cherry blossom for the younger generation with benefits like whitening, moisturising and soothing. That's just the tip of the iceberg. 

I've chosen Bulgarian White Rose as my favourite because the scent is just gorgeous and it provides just what I need to maintain rather than improve my skin. I use sheet masks as a supplement rather than a necessity so it doesn't really matter which particular type I use - just depends on my mood or how my skin is feeling. I love this mask because for one, it's thin - meaning better absorption, the residue that is left on the skin is easy to rub in and it's very convenient as most sheet masks are. I love the fact that you don't need to wash your face after unlike clay masks. 

Positives: Convenient in function and packaging (you can even take one on a flight and use it right there without needing the pop to the toilet), lovely scent, multiple benefits in just one mask, easily absorbed and leaves skin feel really soft and healthy looking for 2 days after use.

Negatives: Not widely available in the UK - you may be able to find it in Chinatown but they usually charge extortionate prices (£10+), when I bought mine for equivalent to half the price in HK. When removing from the packaging, they usually drip a bit so best to apply it over a sink. Unless you're experienced, it can be quite hard to place it correctly on your face as everyone's face is different, a mirror is strongly advised!

1. Sasatinnie Facial Cleansing Brush - £5 each


Number 1 spot goes to my daily tool - my fish shaped facial cleansing brush! 

I must admit, ever since I bought this at Sasa in HK, it has really helped my skin a lot. This facial brush has soft silicone bristles that help gently scrub dead skin off the face. I use it along with my Simple moisturising cleanser, I find this brush works best with a foaming cleanser. It leaves my skin feeling super soft after and can even be used on your lips before you apply lipstick! I can't go anywhere without this brush anymore. 

Positives: Soft, the bristles do not damage your skin, small and compact, easy to clean and dry - convenient for travelling, has a little suction tip convenient to hang on a bathroom wall to dry after use, has finger holes for easy grip. Very durable - I bought 2 but have been using one for 8 months now and it doesn't show any signs of wear and tear.

Negatives: Again, not widely available, only available in HK or purchase online at Sasa.com, the suction tip doesn't hold well on my bathroom wall but holds very well on the inside of shower cubicles. 

Hope you guys enjoyed my 2nd set of mini reviews. 

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment